Updated 06 May 2021.
Copyright: European Union Public License, version 1.2 (EUPL-1.2).
In order to benchmark Operating Systems, not overlook some features and have consistency across our articles, we designed a list of features to review.
1.1 Code & developers:
- Code: Open source or audited by trusted third party.
- License: FOSS (Free Open Source Software), or Freemium.
- Liveliness: Actively maintained: App is regularly updated.
- Support: Emergency support by the provider. The team is answering to support requests from users.
- Platforms: Multi-platform, Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, Ubuntu Touch etc.
- App stores: Available from alternative repositories: APKpure, F-Droid, Github, team’s website etc. That way user doesn’t have to use a Google or Microsoft account.
- Apk Signature: Signature key provided on website to check that APK downloaded has not be tampered with.
- Digitally signed with Microsoft: So as not to trigger a warning from Windows SmartScreen.
- Intuitive: Adoption from the team is easy even for non geeks, from installation to using all most features.
- Data persistence (when you shut down your system, data is saved on the media).
- Silent updates. Updates are downloaded in the background to keep your system up to date and patched.
1.5 Security & Privacy:
- No identifying information: At purchase and set up (email, phone number, credit card).
- Full disk encryption. During installation, the entire media (drive, USB key, SD card) is encrypted.
1.6 Price and value:
- Cost-effectiveness: For large user base, afordable monthly fee or one-off license fee. If you have 15 people in your team, your organisation can reasonably afford the monthly fee.
- Anonymous payment: Can pay using anonymous cryptocurrency (Monero).